For many people, working from home for an extended period of time is a new experience. This major adjustment may bring different challenges such as difficulty focusing and determining how to best adjust to a new work setting. Here are some tips for ways to stay productive and get the most out of your workday:
- Have a separate space for work from your personal space– While everyone’s home arrangements are different, it is vital to productivity to have a separate workspace. Some people are lucky to have their own office or study room. Even if it’s a desk in your room or a table in another area of the house, find that private space that you can be focused and have uninterrupted time, away from your family or other distractions.
- Set regular hours and stick to that schedule- Following as similar a schedule you can to the schedule you had prepandemic will provide a sense of continuity and help you find your groove.
- Keep your work area tidy and not cluttered to help stay focused- Studies show working in an organized environment raises productivity and that a messy desk “undermines people’s persistence in completing tasks.”
- Stay in communication with your team/other workers- Communicating with your team and making sure everyone is on the same page just as you would in the office is essential for operations to continue to run smoothly. Furthermore, going from the typical office day with team meetings, to working from home can get a little lonely, especially when you are boosts productivity and hold team members accountable for their share of the workload.
- Set boundaries for those around you- Communicate to those you live with when you’re working so they do not add unnecessary distractions. Even something as simple as implementing a knock on the door rule or “call me if you really need me,” can make a huge difference.
- When you’re done, log off for the day and make sure you maintain a work life balance- It is too easy to keep working after you’re supposed to be done for the day when working from home. However, to stay sane and ensure you don’t get burned out quickly, know when to stop. While there are some days you may need to work later than usual, don’t let this become a regular thing.
- Maintain healthy habits – Now is the perfect time to set and maintain healthy lifestyle habits. Despite gyms, pools, and other public workout settings being closed, it is important to still get some exercise to destress during these trying times. Take a walk or bike ride around the neighborhood, or even find a free online class you can stream and do from home. Eating balanced, nutritious meals increases productivity and makes you feel good doing it. Lastly, ensure you’re getting a full eight hours of sleep a night to reset and optimize efficiency the next workday.
While working from home definitely requires an adjustment phase, following these tips will help you boost and maintain productivity!
[nz_btn text=”Learn more about Chemtek’s response to COVID-19 here!” link=”chemtekinc.com/chemtek-continues-to-provide-vital-solutions-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/” target=”_self” icon=”” animate=”false” animation_type=”ghost” color=”green” size=”medium” shape=”rounded” type=”normal” hover_normal=”fill” hover_ghost=”fill” el_class=”” /]